If you would like to have announcements advertised, please email the Post Adjutant. Send us your photos, notices of special events, your fundraisers and other items of interest that enhance the quality of life for the citizens of our Community.
Message from Bobbie Kimelton, Adjutant, Headquarters, District 11
As we previously communicated, District 11 asked for approval from the District 11 Commanders to utilize District funds on behalf of our posts in order to support the pandemic emergency response in our District. To this end, we have been engaged in several efforts of which you should be aware:
- Donation to the National Guard Clearing House for distribution to the families of deployed guardsmen and their families. The total contribution received to date from all posts in the Department of Arizona is $15,500. District 11 was responsible for a donation of $2500.00.
- Donation of $2500.00 for “Food for Vets” matched by $2500 from District 12. Attached is a flyer that provides dates, times and locations. We are in need of volunteers from your post, auxiliary or SAL to assist with this effort. Volunteers must be between the ages of 18 and 65 in accordance with the CDC guidelines. Please have anyone interested in volunteering to contact me directly using the contact information below.
Additionally, please provide the widest distribution to ensure that members of your Legion family are aware they can receive assistance on any of the dates listed at either location (Maryvale is probably closer). We would like Legion family members to pre-register by contacting District 11 Commander Dee Hoisington with the following information:
- Membership Number (2020 paid dues)
- Proof of Veteran Status (if not a Legion Member)
- Telephone number or email address.
It would be helpful if you can vet these individuals and then let Dee know who they are, however, if you are unable to do so, please have them contact Dee directly at email@example.com or by phone at 602-585-3690. If we are unable to pre-register they will have to show up with proof of veteran status on the days of the event and we will deal with first come first served. There are only 100 veterans per day. If they are going to need baby formula and/or diapers they need to let Dee know.
- A $500.00 donation has been made to the CAP office in Wickenburg to assist with veterans in Wickenburg, Wittman and surrounding area. Post 12 is going to meet and/or exceed that contribution.
- Jesse Fernandez (Area B Vice Commander Candidate) announced that he is working with Kiwanis in Litchfield to provide food boxes through the food pantry. If anyone is in need of assistance they can contact Jesse at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. The food pantry is open from 6:00am-8:00am every Saturday. He can provide more specific information.
- District 11 made a $500 donation to Veterans First Ltd (used to be Mary Ellen’s Place) to assist with the purchase of items for homeless veterans. This donation was matched by District 12 and also by the 20 and 4 (Women’s Legion Honor Society) for a total of $1500.00.
- We are currently working with Post 53 in Buckeye and will be reaching out to Post 128 in Anthem and 137 in Tonopah to see how we might provide assistance to these geographically distant posts.
- In addition, the District 11 auxiliary has several volunteers who are making masks for delivery to the Department of Veteran Services. If anyone is interested in helping with this effort, please contact Angel Juarez, Department Adjutant to determine how you might be of assistance.
- Post 62’s Auxiliary has expanded their Heal Her Art project and will be expanding the program to offer virtual programs taught by artists and social media experts for military families and their children. These sessions are a great way to help families keep their mind off of the pandemic and to find something creative and fun to do. They will be offering two classes on Easter and 10 classes overall. The class schedule will be listed on the Heal Her Art facebook page and a flyer will be sent out shortly. If you have any questions, please contact Marge Christianson at email@example.com.
- Please let us know if your Legion family is involved in any emergency response activities. Please remember to keep track of time and money as these are activities that definitely need to go on your CPR. Please reach out and let us know if you need any assistance and make sure you are performing your “buddy checks.” We have discovered quite a few members who needed assistance through these calls and emails.
- One final note…if your post, SAL, ALR or Auxiliary are in a position to help support any of these initiatives you contribution would be appreciated. There is probably more to be done before this is over. There is no expectation that you should donate, however if you are able to, you donation would be appreciated. If your Legion family has an interest in donating, please contact me and let me know. Again, let me stress that there is absolutely no expectation that you do this and any donation would be appreciated!
Please keep safe and take care of yourselves. I hope members of your Legion family are doing well. Please keep in mind those who are still working – first responders, health care professionals, military, essential businesses, mail carriers, food deliverers and a myriad of others whom I’ve probably failed to mention. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you need assistance or if there is something we can do to help each other!
If you require additional information about the activities listed above please let me know. Also, if you can, please volunteer…we need your support!
As many of you know, many Veterans do not have access to military installations to utilize the Commissary, Exchange, or Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) facilities. Below are a couple of links to Military.com for updates to how you can get access: